In this investigation you are going to find out how the temperature of vegetable oil affects its viscosity.
- Viscometer (a disposable pipette with the top cut off will do)
- 5 water baths
- 5 beakers of vegetable oil
- clamp stand
- 2 100ml beakers.
It is very easy to slip on oil which has been spilled on the floor, any spillages must be cleaned up quickly.
- Set the water baths to the following temperatures; 20, 25, 30, 35 and 40oC.
- Place a beaker of oil in each bath.
- Check with a thermometer that the oil has reached the required temperature.
- Place the viscometer in the clamp stand.
- Position a small beaker under the viscometer.
- Fill the viscometer with oil and time how long it takes to empty.
- Repeat this 3 times at each temperature to calculate averages.