The hotter a squash ball gets the higher the pressure becomes inside the ball and the higher it wil bounce.
- Squash ball
- Metre Rule
- Clamp stand
- 250ml beaker
- Fix the metre rule into the clamp stand (make sure 0cm is at the bottom)
- Pour water into the beaker, adjust the temperature of the water to 20oC.
- Place the squash ball into the water for a minute (to allow time for it to reach the desired temperature.
- Quickly dry the squash ball and drop it from 1M (the top of the metre rule)
- Measure how high it bounces.
- Repeat this at 25, 30, 35, 40 and 45oC
- You should take 3 readings at each temperature so that you can calculate mean values.
The risk is with the hot water, take care to avoid scolds.